Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How we did Preschool :)

Thought I'd put this up here so anyone who had questions could see how we did preschool.  We started preK at age 3 since Evangeline showed so much interest.  She's just like her mommy- loves a good project or worksheet!  For us it was mainly about setting a routine- learning to do school almost every day together and starting to love learning!  So I tried to always keep it light and fun- things she was really interested in.  The great thing about preschool is there are SO many free resources out there. There are tons of great printable packs about anything your kiddo is interested in!  E's favorite was definitely the Tangled Rapunzel preschool pack-

Tangled Pack

It was a great way to get her really excited about "school".  We focused on the basics first, with lots of play, and lots of projects!  I always tried to make it fun, especially around the holidays.  It was also our special time together as we usually do school when Asher is napping.  We usually only did school for 1 to 1/2 hours, sometimes 6 days a week, sometimes 3 or 4 days of the week.  Sometimes for longer, sometimes for shorter!  Evangeline is SO type "A" so I didn't want her stressing at all about school.  She's a little perfectionist, so I don't want to put any pressure on her.  I let her take the lead- what she wanted to learn about, do, and stop doing.  Here are a few of our fun projects we did together, usually after worksheet time.

Making leaf cookies...


I cut out the pieces for a Jack O Lantern and a black kitty and she painted and glued them together :)



 Our thankful tree for Thanksgiving...


We also did theme "units".  This one is from our Rodeo unit from the month our town has its rodeo.  Here she is making a cactus!


Here is a huge list of printable packs-


Usually I just spent some time on pinterest or google to find her a printable pack about whatever she was interested in at the moment.  I also check out Amazon for preK books, find the ones with the best reviews, then reserve them at the library. We spent a lot of time reading aloud for Prek.

Other resources we used were a PreK curriculum book I bought when I was pregnant with E at Sams (I'm not even kidding, lol) and lots of puzzles.  

Here's a link to my pinterest board for our school projects.
It's mostly preschool towards the bottom :)

Evangeline also did Awanas at our church for scripture memory and "social" time, and a ballet/tap/gymnastics combo class so she could learn some school skills... things she wouldn't learn at home- like how to walk in a line, lol :)  We also do Botanical Gardens tot classes when we can (they stop in the summer)



I think preschool home-school is so much about building confidence.  Mommy's and child's!  It's a great way to transition into the idea of homeschooling without pressure.  So have fun and don't stress!  Since I wasn't home-schooled, this was a huge point for our family.  We had no idea how to go about this.  But God has really blessed us and made it a very enjoyable journey for our family!  If anyone ever has any questions, I love to chat about school, so please feel free to ask anything.  I'm definitely a beginner at this, but I love to help in any way I can :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment