Monday, February 7, 2011

Minky Dot Tutorial Blanket

One of my sweet friends is having her third baby any day now, and since little Mister is supposed to come a wee bit early, I figured he needed something extra cuddly for his welcoming present! When Evangeline was born one of my friends made her this *wonderful* giant minky blanket that I'm constantly stealing, so I thought I would try my hand at making one for Cohen. A man a few neighborhoods over monograms things beautifully (he did Evangeline's reading chair) so I got him to monogram the fabric before I made the blanket. I was kind of worried about sewing minky, so I googled a bit, and found this tutorial- which helped a lot. I think the most important thing though was take. it. slow. REALLY slow. For some reason when I topstitched it, my thread broke 9 or 10 times. At least. Whew. But when I slowed waaay down, it did fine. Here are some pictures! I made it a bit big so he can still use it when he's a toddler. Most of Evie's baby blankets are too small for her now, so I need to make her some new ones. I used a Michael Miller cowboy print and black minky fabric.


Here's a close up-
I can't wait to see him all snuggled up in it!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that!!!! What a sweet snuggle that blanket will give :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable! The cowboy print is adorable, and I love the black minky -- and it will be great for concealing stains, too!

    What a blessed little baby Cohen will be :-)

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minky is a pain to sew with but soooo worth it! And I love that cowboy print. I have a cart cover made from it!

    ReplyDelete