Friday, February 4, 2011

January Projects

I had an idea, about mid January, that every month I would sew one thing for the house, one thing for Evangeline, and one thing for me. Well... come January 28th I had made two things for Evie, and nothing else! It was just the inspiration I needed.
So I finally got out the quilt I bought last year (with our tax refund! Really! a year ago!) and got to cutting. I bought the clearance quilt on purpose to make pillows- when my grandmother gave us these purple couches, she also gave me a huge bag of gold pillows. Really pretty, but not my style. However, pillow forms are so expensive, so I kept them all to hopefully recover. They had some gold braid on them that would show through any normal fabric, so I thought quilted fabric would be just the thing. Quilted fabric is also expensive though... so when I saw the quilt I was thrilled. Here is the finished project. We have two identical couches facing each other, so I made four pillows.


Here is Evangeline's reading nook, which is just to the right side. The rug was hubby and my's Christmas present to each other. We love it, it's so snuggly!


I was able to use the pretty bound edge of the quilt for the opening on the back of the pillows. I don't know if it shows up well in the picture, but it was a nice effect, and made sewing these pillows ridiculously easy!


Well, four pillows later... I needed to make something for ME...


A zebra headband to match Evie's skirt. Ha. :) Maybe next month I'll make myself something better. Hey, it counts...


And today we had snow! For the first time in many years... I was 13 months old last time snow stuck to the ground here. Our back deck looked so beautiful! It shut the entire city and all our highways down, so we were very blessed to have hubby stay home all day with us. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done! The pillows are great! And, you sewed stuff! It is so hard to sew with little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo cute! I love how good you are at repurposing fabric! I'm impressed that you're sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Mama! I love that idea, I might try to do something similar...I took SO long after Jenny was born to get into sewing/crafting again, was a little bit better after Bobby, and I'm really determined to not loose to much time after this baby comes along. It should help that the kids will be bursting out of their clothes and I'm determined to make their spring/summer things this year. Nothing like some motivation! Your black and white is so fun, I like how you're putting throughout the house! Can't wait to see February's projects! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great job. And I love Evie's reading corner. I do miss sewing. I have not the energy right now but the desire is certainly there. Of course the desire is not the problem. It's the following through that is the problem. I do miss your crafty posts. I still visit your old blog from time to time to look at stuff you made. : )

    Love you,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete