Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yummy Spinach Soup

I promised some friends I would post my favorite soup recipe... here it is! This is very yummy, very hearty, and you can make it as frugal or as fancy as you like by making everything organic. It's got a few of the "dirty dozen" (spinach and potatoes) in it- but I honestly only regularly use organic chicken broth and organic butter. Organic potatoes and spinach are harder to come by- I think I'd have to go to a special store for that, and well... that's just probably not going to happen anytime soon. I may stock up on some organic spinach next time I'm at Whole Foods though, since that's frozen and can keep for a Long Time. I make this with either bread bowls (I make the dough in the breadmaker then make round bowls in the oven) or drop biscuits. Hope you enjoy- someone shared it on a sewing board I'm part of a few years back, and it is SO delicious!

2 medium/large potatoes peeled and sliced paper thin
2 carrots peeled and sliced pretty thin (I usually do 3 med/large carrots)
1 box frozen chopped spinach
46 oz chicken broth
chopped green onions (I use two bunches, but this is really to taste)
1 large can evaporated milk
1/4 cup rice (I use a bit more to make it stew like)
3 TBSP butter
the original recipe calls for salt, but I've never felt the need for it.

Saute the green onions in the butter until they are tender. Add all the chicken broth, bring to a boil. Add the evaporated milk, stir to blend (honestly you can do this at anytime... since I have forgotten at some points to add this until the end) Add the potatoes, carrots, and rice. Boil 15 minutes. I do this at a pretty low boil, nothing rolling or crazy. Add the frozen spinach (just unwrap it and put the frozen block in. Continue to leave on the original heat for another 15 minutes. Serve in your bread bowls or with biscuits :) It makes alot- serves 7 approximately. Whenever momma or I make it we usually share... because no one wants *that* many leftovers. Someday I hope to have enough babies to eat it all in one night, Lord willing :-D
You can cut up everything the night before while your baby sleeps... your potatoes will be a funny color the next day, but they'll taste just fine!
Also, Hubby likes his sprinkled with crispy chopped turkey bacon, leftover fresh green onion and some cheese.

3 comments:

  1. I think I actually have everything on hand to make this soup. Sounds delicious! Now I know what we're having for dinner. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, that does sound yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the one that shared the recipe on S&S. ;-) It's one of my favorites, too! I'm glad you like it so much!
    My uncle gave me a mandoline slicer as a wedding gift and I have found it particularly useful for slicing carrots and potatoes for this soup -- it saves SO much time over chopping by hand.

    ReplyDelete