Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Favorite Books for Evie

I think it is so important to be mindful about what books we read to our babies. You are what you read, after all... so here are my current favorites for book time. These all have beautiful illustrations with modestly dressed young girls and great messages- which is sometimes hard to find even in "Christian" books.



This book is SO sweet and really encourages little girls as mothers and home-keepers. Very touching and vintage, and just lovely. It follows a little girl throughout the day as she takes care of her home and "babies" when "daddy" goes off to work.



A wonderful story of purity before marriage. It would be impossible to say how great this book is!



This book has little rhymes about character traits of God's little girl. It loosely follows Proverbs 31, and is almost everything that you could want in a book for your daughter. I have to admit, sometimes even these children's books are convicting to me- they are very busy little girls :)

8 comments:

  1. I so appreciate how you are putting thought into the books you are reading to Evie! So often it's tempting to be aimless with entertainment, and yet every book has a message and worldview to impart. I've often had trouble finding books worthy of sharing with the little ones I watch. They've learned to love reading over the years, but the lack of truly Christ-honoring books available is sad. Thanks for your recommendations! Little Mommy, in particular, looks very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books look great! I have read the Princess and the Kiss to my older girls, but not Miss Rowan. I really need to invest in some good books for her:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Lauren! We love the vintage golden books too, but I hadn't seen that one, and I was just pointed toward the Princess and the Frog, so I'll have to look those two up! "God's Wisdom for Little Girls" is one that we have, and they also have a version for little boys (for future reference ;). Jenny also liked having the Little House series read to her, I guess they started when she was about 18 months, and she just gobbled it up. :) We've gotten into a dreadful funk with the kids getting to watch certain shows, and this really reminded me that I need to start pulling out the books instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE Little Mommy!!! I absolutely loved Little Golden Books as a child ~ do y'all have Harriet the Hedgehog? That was another favorite... I have a very well-worn copy that I'm saving for future babies :)
    Quick question ~ about how much do you read to Evie per day? I often wonder how mothers get their young babies to stay still while they read :) You are so dedicated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of books. I have never read the Princess and the Kiss but I have heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you on this, Lauren! I have a 3 year old and it seems to get more and more difficult to find good books for her that are also God-honoring. I will look for these! Also, Beverly Lewis has at least one children's book that we've enjoyed, I think it's called "Just like Mama" or something similar. The illustrations are beautiful and my daughter loved it even as a little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I used to love Little Mommy. Another one along similar lines was another Golden Book called Baby Dear. Some of my favorite memories of my mom are her reading to me when I was little. I still have all my old books, to read, hopefully, to my kids one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the recommendation, Jodi! I looked at that book and I think I'll really like it.
    Luci- I usually give Evie a board book or a toy to chew on while I read. That way she doesn't try to rip out the pages!! :) Somedays I'll read 2-3 books to her, somedays I'm not so good!

    ReplyDelete